Saturday, January 02, 2010

2 January 2010

Took another Mucinex D at 4:30 this morning. Breathing well now at 9:30. Carole and Hugh came for the South's traditional NY Day supper last night. Introduced me to the Daniel Fast, basically a vegan way of eating (cf. Daniel 10); they begin it on January 10 and continue for 21 days. Inasmuch as my extended fast will come in Lent, I don't intend to join them although I wish them a blessing.

Still having trouble chanting the psalms without coughing; my only remedy is to keep a hot cup of tea or coffee nearby for an occasional sip. It's good to still be singing Christmas carols, songs, and hymns during the Twelve Days.

I continue to work on and review my presentation concerning Haiti. Pastor Katie wrote to say it may be due a week from Sunday.

Reading Merton's "Hagia Sophia," wonderfully fresh and exciting even though I don't quite know what to do with it. It'll have to seep in. Yesterday at Borders I sat down with a paperback copy of The New Man but didn't buy it. Instead, I ordered a used copy online, along with Jim Forest's Praying with Icons and Frederica Mathewes-Green's The Jesus Prayer. About the latter: I listened to a talk on the prayer she gave recently; it was available on Ancient Faith Radio.

No comments: